red aframe

red aframe

Tuesday 23 June 2015

My Week Away at WAO by Twiggy Cadman

Well, this last few months has definitely been one of unusual occurrences.  A couple of days when there’s only been me going to a show and some days training with Very Clever Dogs.  Then it gets even stranger!  Nanna Cadman arrived one afternoon, piled stuff into the van and off we went, leaving behind everyone else, even Aunty Deb!  We picked up Sarah and Kita and carried on our journey.  Several hours later we arrived at this ferry place.  Couldn’t see any agility equipment anywhere so I was slightly sceptical when Mum got me out of the van and we went for a walk.  The mystery deepened when Mum took the van into this big floating fish thing with a whole load of other cars, lorries and vans.  Kita and I were transferred to the dog hotel part.  It was actually OK, I mean we had the room to ourselves and everything but it didn’t stop me doing my best to tell everyone I was there and also trying to work out how to get out and go for a sneaky wander round.  Turns out Mum was watching my every move on some sort of Doggycam.  Rumbled!  Honestly, can’t a dog do anything in peace?!


Anyway the next day we arrived in Holland and given that we were too early to check in at the hotel, we did a detour to Amsterdam and wandered round.  Bikes everywhere!  And pigeons!!  After Amsterdam we made our way to Ermelo and our home for the next few nights.  I’ve never stayed in a hotel before with Mum.  It was really posh and I had to be on my best behaviour.  We were in the middle of a forest so there were some great walks, although on hearing that there were wild boar roaming around Mum was a bit dubious.


After a good night’s kip on Mum’s bed we had the morning to ourselves so took the opportunity to wander around Ermelo town before visiting the venue for WAO for a training session.  The venue was amazing!  3 indoor schools and a massive outdoor arena.  Mum and Nanna were well impressed!  Training was hard work as it got a bit warm so I decided to conserve my energy and not run quite as fast as I can do.  We had a short break and then another training session, this time indoors.  Everyone knows I love it indoors so I went much faster and Mum had to work hard to keep up with me.
Next day we had a short training session and then the Opening Ceremony.  Oh and loads of pictures of the team.  I think everyone looked really smart – when they weren’t squinting because of the sun!
On Friday the competition started.  An early start (at the venue for 7am!) before competition kicked off at 8.15.  Mum had to go off and walk some courses whilst I took the opportunity to catch some more zzzzs.  Our turn soon came around in the jumping and we were off.  The course was REALLY spread out which Mum liked although it meant she would have to do some serious running.  Unfortunately I slipped in the weaves so I missed one.  Mum was ahead of me so she didn’t notice until I came out on the wrong side, so we wasted a bit of time as we had to go back and do them all again.  This was to prove very costly. Team England had some good solid runs and looked good. 
I decided to give Mum a near heart attack in the agility.  With hindsight perfecting my ‘launch off the dogwalk’ manoeuvre was possibly not a great idea at WAO and should have been reserved for a slightly less important event.  It certainly took Mum by surprise and as a result she was out of position and couldn’t save a big fat elimination.  Oops.  The top percentage of dogs (I can’t remember how many) went through to Rounds 3 and 4.  I was less than half a second outside that percentage so didn’t go through.  Gutted!  Having to redo the weaves cost us (as did me flying the dogwalk but we won’t mention that…).



Saturday for me was a day off competing.  A REALLY long day doing nothing apart from cheering on everyone else and the occasional mooch around.  Some places for some of my amazing team mates and exciting agility to watch.

On the Sunday Mum and I were eligible for the Bonus Speedstakes.  After having Saturday off I had recharged my batteries and was raring to go.  Another big course and we were flying round until Mum moved about half an hour too early and sent me over a jump instead of round the back.  Doh!  I suppose we were even though, I missed the dogwalk and she didn’t get her timing right.  1-1!  Mum was really happy with me and still gave me a big cuddle.  

All we had left was the Closing Ceremony where we cheered really loudly especially for the three silver medals that England got.  I felt really proud to be part of such an awesome team!
On Monday we made the trip home.  The floaty fish thing was really bumpy which wasn’t very nice but I didn’t get seasick.  Slight technical hitch when there were a couple of roads closed and we had to take a diversion to get home.  Mum said she was really tired.  I wouldn’t know – I slept all the way!

I really enjoyed my week away with Mum and Nanna.  It’s quite nice getting so much attention and hogging Mum’s bed.  I know Mum was really proud of me.  She said I’m a very Special Brown Rat :o)

Mum also said that we wouldn’t have been able to go if Aunty Deb hadn’t stayed at home to look after everyone else so I want to take the opportunity to say Thank You to Aunty Deb too.

Twiggy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment